How God Sees Church Membership
Sermon Study Sheet
“How God Sees Church Membership”
So in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. Romans 12:5
There are 2 Kinds of Church Membership found in the Bible (Universal and Local). Take some time to discuss what it means to be a member in each:
· The Church Universal (see Matthew 16:18; Acts 2:38-47)
· The Local Church (see Romans 12:6-8; 1 Peter 4:10-11)
What does it mean that the church is the body of Christ (see Ephesians 4:4)?
What does it mean that Christ is the head of the body (see Colossians 1:8)?
Read Acts 2:46-47: Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
· What were the activities of the first church members?
· What (according to this passage) is required to be a church member?
Read Matthew 22:38-40: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
· How does this verse apply to membership in the local church?
Read Hebrews 10:25: We should not stop gathering together with other believers, as some of you are doing. Instead, we must continue to encourage each other even more as we see the day of the Lord coming.
· Spend some time in discussion and then in prayer considering how you might better encourage members of your church family