Sunday 5/20/2018 Sermon Discussion Questions
A Lesson in Encouragement
Sermon Discussion Questions
“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up,…” 1 Thess. 5:11
1. Can you think of a time that someone encouraged you to do something that you knew you needed to do but really needed the encouragement to do it?
2. Hebrews 10:24-25 has been used in the past to encourage the importance of church and worship service(s) attendance. Reread those verses, in the context this is dealing with much more than just church attendance. Why does the Hebrew writer says we should “not give up meeting together”?
3. Based on Paul letter to Philemon, Chad shared 5 ways we should encourage others to do what is right. Take some time to review and consider these 5 ways:
(1) Affirm their worth (Philemon vs.4-5)
(2) Give them a choice. (Philemon vs.8-9,14)
(3) Motivate them with love. (Philemon vs.9, 1 Corinthians 16:14, Ephesians 4:15)
(4) Show them the benefits of doing what is right. (Philemon vs.15-16)
(5) Expect the best. (Philemon vs.21)
Encouragement makes it easier to live in a fallen world in a holy way. Encouragement makes it easier to love as Jesus loved (see John 13:34-35). Encouragement gives hope (Romans 15:4). Encouragement helps us through times of discipline and testing (Hebrews 12:5). Encouragement nurtures patience and kindness (see 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 and Galatians 5:22-26). Encouragement makes it easier to sacrifice our own desires for the advancement of God’s kingdom. In short, encouragement makes it easier to live the Christian life. Who will you encourage today?